Has everyone had an enjoyable week? Did you over-eat on the chocolate during Easter? I think we all did...mmmm cream eggs!!
So now we are back on track, eating right and smashing the gym...hopefully!
Sometimes getting to the gym just doesn’t happen! Whether it’s because you’re gym buddy lets you down, an emergency staff meeting crops up, plans change or you just can’t be bothered!
So what can we do instead of hitting the gym? Plenty! Now that the evenings are longer and the weather better (don’t jinx it) you can have a decent workout outside, at work or at home instead.
5 Quick Fixes when you can’t hit the gym
1. Maximize Your Lunch Break
If you know that you won't have the time to make it to the gym today, use your lunch break to your advantage! You can maximize your down time while still giving your body the fuel it needs with an protein bar or protein shake whilst you exercise. If work doesn’t have any gym like facilities then take a brisk walk or jog around the neighbourhood then do some squats and tricep dips!
2. Watch Your Waistline If your office is surrounded by delicious, but not always healthy, meal choices you may be tempted to cheat. And sometimes you're skipping a gym date for a fancy dinner date instead. Don't sabotage yourself. If you know you aren't making the gym today, opt for food options that will help your goals: power foods like avocados, meats and other protein sources such as eggs, and low fructose fruit like berries.
3. Back to Basics Push-ups, sit-ups, and squats. Try this: in between the adverts of your favourite primetime program, perform twenty push-ups, squats and sit-ups each. Repeat for all adverts in a one-hour programming block. It's the TV workout. And it will help you stay on track even when you can't get to the gym.
4. Make-Up Day If you’ve skipped a gym day this week, use your weekend to make it up. You don't have to forgo your weekend either. Take a mountain biking trip, go for a hike, hit the beach for a fun run or some kayaking action. You can still enjoy your day off while getting that workout in.
5. Don't Beat Yourself Up Remember, if you miss a day or two, it's not the end of the world. Many times we need that rest. Just remember that it's important to not get off track, because that can derail your fitness goals. If you skip a day, just work that much harder the next time you're in the gym.
So there is always something you can be doing if the getting to the gym becomes impossible. And if it keeps you on the right path to achieving those goals then that keeps us both happy!
See you soon
“Don’t be upset with the results you didn’t get with the workout you didn’t do”